Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice

The idea of the Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice emerged as natural response to increasing interest of cyclists in having a high-quality and safe space for cycle tourism. The microregion of Podralsko has rich experience with cycle tourism thanks to the former military area where a network of safe cycle tracks – today known under the brand of Cycle Paradise of Podralsko – was created.

As the name suggests, the proposed Green Arterial Cycle Route follows the course of the Ploučnice River. It runs from its main springs at Osečná to Děčín where the Ploučnice River empties into the Labe River. The route is connected to the cycle route along the Labe River and further to the route system of Poland and the adjacent Saxony, Germany, thanks to the cooperation with the Natural Park of Zittau Mountains.

The course of the Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice runs through a dissected landscape in the surroundings of the Ploučnice River, whose meanders pass through the territory of the Ještěd Natural Park, the nature conservation areas of the Lužické Mountains, the Region of Kokořín, the Czech Central Massif and the Labe Sandstones. The implemented part of the arterial cycle route opens the attractive regions of Podještědí, Podralsko and Mácha’s Region not only to cycle tourists.

Characteristics of the Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice:

  • Total length of the arterial cycle route
85 km
  • Total length of the arterial cycle route in the operation area of the Podralsko Microregion
50 km


Course of the Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice


Basic route:

  • Semering – hillside of the Ještěd Ridge, start of Arterial Cycle Route and connection to New Ridge Route
  • Osečná – Prameny Ploučnice springs
  • Hamr na Jezeře
  • Stráž pod Ralskem
  • Noviny pod Ralskem – Ploučnice Cleft


Continuation to microregion border:

  • Mimoň
  • Ralsko (town)
  • Hradčany
  • Zákupy-Veselí
  • Vlčí Důl

Further route outside the microregion:

  • Česká Lípa
  • Stružnice
  • Jezvé
  • Horní Police
  • Žandov
  • Starý Šachov
  • Františkov nad Ploučnicí
  • Benešov nad Ploučnicí
  • Malá Veleň
  • Březiny
  • Děčín – centre, Labe riverbank, connection to Arterial Cycle Route of Labe-Elbe


Since 2012, the Podralsko Microregion has been interspersed with cycle paths and cycle routes. Thanks to the „Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice – Section of Osečná - Noviny pod Ralskem (Cleft)“ Project, the accompanying infrastructure has been developed, particularly the backbone route of the Green Arterial Cycle Route in the Section of Osečná – Noviny pod Ralskem (Cleft). The total output of the project consists in a coherent route created by interconnection of routes of four municipalities - Osečná, Hamr na Jezeře, Stráž pod Ralskem and Noviny pod Ralskem. So the arterial cycle route in a length of 15,188 km was created – 10,538 km from that amount are cycle paths and 4,650 km cycle routes. At the same time, adequate tools for information of the users have been installed at the route.



The implemented section of the Green Arterial Cycle Route of Ploučnice offers main use for:

1. Cycle tourism

2. Hiking and walks

3. Ski tourism (under favourable snow conditions in Podještědí and in Ralsko)

4. Other types of non-motor transport (roller skates, wheelchair, etc.)


Interesting places in the surroundings


Prameny Ploučnice (Ploučnice springs) - on the territory of Osečná, we can find the main springs of the Ploučnice River. The wellspring is described as one of the most abundant ones of Central Europe. The Ploučnice River has 106 km and it empties into the Labe River in Děčín.

Osečná - Lázně Kundratice - the first references to Osečná at the Ploučnice River are related to the near castle of Děvín and date back to 1352. The town has Empire buildings with the town hall, a late-Gothic and Renaissance St. Vitus church or the Marian column on the St. Vitus Square. The Kundratice Spa with bog baths is a part of the town. The spa ranks among our oldest spas using sulphurous-ferruginous bog to treat the locomotive system.

Hamr na Jezeře - a town with an iron mill for processing of ores from the 16th century. Since the 19th century, a popular recreation area with hotels, restaurants and a well maintained beach. The recreation character of the town has being gradually restored in parallel with the decline of mining.

Děvín - Ostrý - a natural monument with an area of 33,72 ha, declared in 1996 in order to protect the top beechwood (Děvín) and the relict pinewood (Ostrý). Relatively large castle ruins from the 13th century have been preserved on the woody hill of Děvín. Freely accessible remainders of robust walls of the castle palace, vaults and well (cultural monument).

Stráž pod Ralskem - it was founded below the Wartenberk Castle in the second half of the 13th century. Its existence was confirmed by the deed of the Czech King Václav II on August 8, 1283. The Wartenberk Castle had been built to protect the Zittau-Záhoždí trade route. In 1563, it was rebuilt to a Renaissance castle. In September 1987, the whole castle was destroyed by fire. It is under restoration at present. The sunflower is the heraldic symbol of the town, awarded by Emperor Rudolf II.

Ralsko - a distinctive dominant of the Podještědí Area, a basalt cone (696 meters above sea level) with rocky and brash slopes, rock towers and sandstone blocks. There is a ruin of one of the oldest castles of Bohemia on its top.

Noviny pod Ralskem - a village at the Ploučnice River, founded in the second half of the 14th century. The village monuments include the Holy Trinity Church (1786), a chapel from the 18th century or folk architecture, particularly a two-storey log house.

Průrva Ploučnice (Ploučnice Cleft) - the technical monument of Ploučnice Cleft (called also Hell Crater or Thunder Stroke) in the village of Noviny pod Ralskem constitutes the underground drive of the former iron mill. The whole Ploučnice River runs into the cleft, running about 50 m between high sandstone walls and then submerging into the tunnel in right angle. Shortly after that, it emerges from an open depression to continue running through the long tunnel. The tunnel is 150 m long and 6 m high. It has been declared cultural monument since 1997.